Students are required to read or have read to them 10 books. Please keep track of the books read and the author of the books. You can use the reading record on the website or a sheet of notebook paper. Reading records are due on the first day of school.
Rising/Incoming First – Fifth Graders
Students are required to read 4 books this summer.
· One of those books can be read to them.
· Two of the books need to be in their AR level or higher. AR levels are written on the bottom of your child’s report card.
· During the first week of school, students will be required to test on one of the books they read during the summer.
· Use the reading record on the website or a sheet of notebook paper to record summer reading.
· Reading records are due on the first day of school.
First through fifth grades only: First quarter reading grades will include a test grade reflecting the completion of required summer reading. Students who complete all summer reading requirements will receive a 100%. Students who do not will receive a deduction of 25 points for each book not read. (Ex. If a student only reads 3 books, he or she will receive a 75%.)
We encourage you to read aloud to your child!
Summer presents a wonderful opportunity to encourage and nurture your child’s desire to read. Studies have shown that reading aloud to your child can improve his/her attitude toward reading and books in general. In addition, regular reading aloud improves children’s reading, writing, speaking, and listening skills. Daily reading aloud can generate an excitement for books that we hope will spill over into your entire family.
Public Library and Summer Reading Clubs
We want to encourage you to join the Summer Reading Club at any branch of the Live Oak Public Library. They have lots of exciting activities planned for the summer including times when students can read to therapy dogs. Check the library’s website for more information.
Still learning to navigate AR yourself?
Visit out our AR page for additional information and access to your child’s AR progress.